Insurance Information for Bariatric Surgery
The Surgical Weight Loss Center in Decatur, GA, works with you and your insurance provider.
Most of our patients rely on some form of health insurance coverage for their surgical procedures. We accept most commercial health insurance plans. It is important to check with your insurance company prior to starting this process. You may contact your insurance company by calling the toll-free number listed on your insurance card.
Getting your insurance to cover weight loss surgery can be a slow process. Most insurance companies will require significant documentation proving that the procedure is medically necessary. Here are a few items your insurance may require:
• Proof of multiple failed diet and exercise programs, which might include a medically supervised diet with a physician and dietitian for a specific period of time
• Evidence of obesity related health problems to include a Letter of Medical Necessity from your primary care physician and/or clearance letters from pulmonary, cardiologist, etc.
• Psychological evaluation
• Documentation of understanding and education of dietary guidelines for weight loss surgery patients.
Helpful questions to ask your insurance representative:
1. Is bariatric surgery a covered benefit?
2. What procedures are covered?
Roux En Y Gastric Bypass (Code 43644)
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (Code 43775)
Lap Gastric Banding (Code 43770)
3. What is my out of pocket expense, such as co-pay, deductible, and co-insurance?
4. What testing and evaluations are required by my insurance company?
Our courteous staff will be here to guide you and offer informative assistance for a smooth insurance process.